Wednesday 11 August 2010

Incubation of Silkie Eggs
I purchase 6 mixed Silkie eggs from e-bay, unfortunately there was a slight delay in the delivery. I set them for twelve hours and bought them up to room temperature before putting them in my incubator. we numbered them and put the O & X on each side of the eggs so we were aware of the turning sequences. We did name on n'Tuckey. I did candle them before putting them in and continued to turn 5+ times daily. Duane sorted the temperature and placed an internal/ external digital temperature device to ensure accuracy. The set up is is in our den, the continued switching on an off of the light (which regulates the heat) did not prove to be distracting. I sorted the humidity and if I have worked it right I will not have to add water until the chicks hopefully stat peeping from day 19 onwards. I will then increase the humidity with warm water, possibly on a sponge or in the well.

Day 5 showed one very porous egg when candled, it did not appear to be fertile. Unfortunately this was the one Duane had called n' Tuckey. I had to resist the temptation to swop it for one that did look fertile. We decided n'Tuckey egg could stay in the incubator in case a miracle happened.

Day 10 was not a lucky day for egg #6. I dropped it whilst turning it. I knew I was tired and feeling clumsy, so had already made the decision not to candle until the evening. So all that I needed to do was rotate the eggs from the X to O sides. my and and brain were clearly not in sycn, as I managed to lift the egg out of the incubator and drop it on the floor. The developing embryo could not be saved, so was quickly swooped up complete with shell and yolk and dispatched to the loo, along with a quick prayer. I then had to clear up the remaining mess which had manage to splash onto Duane's Ed Hardy shoes and computer case. I spoke my guilt to the remaining eggs and turned them extra carefully. The remainder of the eggs looked appropriately dark when candled although only one was seen by me to be actively moving.

Day 17 I candled the eggs with two of the Grandchildren, Jack and Emily, there appeared to be movement in one of eggs, the others seemed quite still so may have died. The children loved watching chickens hatch on U tube and learning about a chicks development.

Day 18 I have put special mat in the incubator in preparation for 'the hatch' This is to help the chicks grip ad prevent splayed legs. OK, the mat is one that Duane agreed to give me from his car dashboard. it is the woven type things that stop things sliding about, so my logic is, the weave of the mat will work for the chicks. Both Duane and I have spoken to the eggs before I closed of the incubator. It can not be opened until the peeps start peeping. Duane and I peep at the eggs occasionally whilst we are waiting, I am taking leave so that I can be at home, if, and when they peep.

Day 19 No news or signs of anything yet. I have my next batch of mixed eggs on order. I did look up about sexing chick on google, so that I could be be aware if I have any potential cockerels in the hatch. A piece of advice, do not google sexing chicks. As this blog may be read by children I will not elaborate on the multitude of variations this search activated. I love my chickens :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment